Seneca Valley Health and Safety Plan for Return to School Overview
The members of the Seneca Valley School Board of Directors approved the 2020-21 Seneca Valley Health and Safety Plan for Return to School on Monday, July 20, 2020.
The plan was developed to serve as our guideline for all reopening activities and takes into consideration the unique needs of our school community. As part of this planning, we sought feedback and input from various stakeholder groups across the District. The District’s plan also incorporates guidance released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Pennsylvania Department of Health (PADoH), and the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
Seneca Valley is mindful that there are no strategies that can completely eliminate the transmission risk of COVID-19 within a school population. However, our goal is to employ as many measures as possible to minimize the risk while continuing school academics and activities. Seneca Valley will continue to monitor the Health and Safety Plan throughout the year and will update the plan as needed. All revisions will be reviewed and approved by the Seneca Valley School Board of Directors.
The following are important items of note for all SV families for the 2020-21 school year:
- The physical start date for all students is Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2020 (virtual student meetings with teachers, counselors and nurses will take place Sept. 2-4).
- The Cohort Model will be utilized for the first four weeks (Sept. 8 through Oct. 5), where students will be split into two groups based on last name A-L and M-Z:
- Students with the last name of A-L will report to the school buildings on Monday and Wednesday and engage in remote learning for the remainder of the week.
- Students with the last name M-Z will report to school buildings Tuesday and Thursday and engage in remote learning for the remainder of the week.
- On Fridays, students will have opportunities to check in virtually with their teacher.
- Full-time cyber (SVAOC – Seneca Valley Academy of Choice) is available for families who choose that option.
- Hybrid Instruction (part of the day in school/part of the day in cyber) is available for families who choose that option in the Cohort Model.
- On or before September 25, we will communicate to parents the instructional model (traditional, cohort or remote) that will begin on Oct 5.
The Seneca Valley Health and Safety Plan for Return to School provides details specific to:
- Cleaning, disinfecting, sanitizing and ventilation.
- Utilizing social distancing and other safety protocols for classrooms/learning spaces, transportation and food services.
- Daily monitoring of staff and student health.
To view the plan in its entirety or to see the plan broken down in segments, please view the pages listed in the column on the left (or in the drop down menu above if using a mobile device).