Success for AllThe Seneca Valley School District's Special Education Department is committed to meeting the needs of students with disabilities and helping them reach their potential. The Seneca Valley School District offers a continuum of services and placement options to meet the needs of each student. Services include but are not limited to:
- Autistic Support
- Blind-Visually Impaired Support
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Support
- Emotional Support
- Learning Support
- Life Skills Support
- Multiple Disabilities Support
- Speech and Language Support
The Seneca Valley Special Education Department is committed to meeting the goals of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEIA 2004) which includes:
- Ensuring that all children with disabilities have available to them a free appropriate public education designed to meet their needs
- Ensuring that the rights of children with disabilities and their parents or guardians are protected
- Ensuring the effectiveness of efforts to educate children with disabilities
The Seneca Valley Special Education Department is also committed to meeting the needs of gifted students by ensuring that they are served through an organized program designed to develop their potential through appropriate education experiences. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Education, "Mentally gifted is defined as outstanding intellectual and creative ability, the development of which requires specially designed programs or support services, or both, not ordinarily provided in the regular education program." At Seneca Valley, through the partnership of support staff and regular education teachers, educational opportunities for an identified child include varied enrichment and acceleration options. Each student is viewed as an individual with specific strengths and interests.
With these goals in mind, these web pages were created to assist parents of children with special needs to learn more about available opportunities, to locate resources, and to discover information to assist them as they work with us to help their children succeed. Please contact us if we may be of assistance in any way.